Prof Philomena de Lima
Inverness College UHI
tel: +44 (0)1463 273562
Available to talk to the media about
- Social and environmental justice
- Social exclusion
- Ethnicity, race, gender intersecting identities
- Place making and belonging
- Rural development-migration nexus
- Local-global linkages
In these languagesEnglish
I have been the Director of the Centre for Remote and Rural Studies since 2008 which I helped to establish as the UHI PolicyWeb in 2004. Located at the University of the Highlands and Islands, Inverness, I am interested in using a rural lens to make sense of the opportunities and challenges faced by diverse communities living in remote and rural regions nationally and internationally.
I have undertaken a wide range of commissioned research addressing social and public issues such as poverty, social exclusion, ethnicity and race, migration and rural development in relation to diverse groups. I have served on a number of non-departmental public bodies such as the Scottish Funding Council and the National Lottery Charities Board (UK) as well as being actively engaged in social policy issues with civil society organisations and the charitable sector.
- 2019 - SSHRC/RPLC (Canada) Coastal Routes (International Partner; PI : University of Guelph, Canada)
- 2018 - Ongoing SSHRC/RPLC (Canada) Mobile /Migrant Lives – Rhythms of living and being: An Exploratory Study. (PI; collaboration with the University of Guelph, Canada)
- 2017-2019 - The Carnegie Universities Trust: Language, Place and Identity: exploring children's linguistic and cognitive development in heritage and community languages(Co-I; PI: University of Edinburgh)
- 2017-20 - European Commission: Horizon 2020 - Adaptive Management of Barriers in European Rivers (Expert: Social Scientist)
- 2014-2021 - SSHRC (Canada): Rural Policy Learning Commons (RPLC) ( Co-I; PI: University of Brandon)
Research groups and interests
I am interested in transnational collaborative research drawing on comparative frameworks. The following are some of my associations and collaborations:
- Associate Director at the Centre for Research in Families and Relationships at the University of Edinburgh.
- Faculty member of the International Comparative Rural Policy Studies summer institute since 2005.
- Member of the Rural Policy Learning Commons and established MIRRA (Migration in Remote and Rural Areas) as the theme lead on migration.
de Lima, P. and Carvajal, L. (forthcoming chapter) ‘International Migration: Sustaining Rural Communities’ in M. Vittuari, J. Devlin, M. Pagani & T.G. Johnson (eds) Handbook of International Comparative Rural Policy. Routledge
Hudson, M., Netto, G., Noon, M., Sosenko, F., de Lima, P., Kamenou-Aigbekaen, N. (2017) ‘Ethnicity and low wage traps: favouritism, homosocial reproduction and economic marginalization’, Work, Employment and Society Volume: 31 issue: 6, 992-1009 https://doi.org/10.1177/0950017016674898
Netto, G., Hudson, M., Noon, M., Sosenko, F., de Lima, P. And Kamenou-Aigbekaen, N. (2014) ‘Migration, Ethnicity and Progression from Low Skilled Paid Work: Implications for Skills Policy’, Social Policy and Society, 14(4):1-14
de Lima, P. (2016) International Migration –The well-being of migrants. Edinburgh: Dunedin Academic Press Ltd.
Copus, A. and de Lima, P. (ed) (2015) Territorial Cohesion in Rural Europe- The Relational Turn in Rural Development. London: Routledge. (Regional Studies Association 2015 Best Book Award)
de Lima, P. (2015) ‘Reconciling labour mobility and cohesion policies -the rural experience’, in A. Copus and P. de Lima (de) Territorial Cohesion in Rural Europe - The Relational Turn in Rural Development. London: Routledge. P. 26-150
Selected Published Reports/Briefing Papers
Thomson, S., McMorran., Bird, J., Atterton, J., Pate, L., Elliot Meador, E., de Lima, P. & Milbourne, P. (2018) Farm Workers in Scottish Agriculture: Case Studies in the International Seasonal Migrant Labour Market. Edinburgh: Scottish Government.
de Lima, P. & Valero Lopez, D. (2014) Case Study Report -Albacete , La Manchuela, Spain in The Territorial Dimension of Poverty and Social Exclusion in Europe (TIPSE) Report. Epson 2013 Programme: European Commission
de Lima, P. & Copus, A. (2014) ‘Case Study Report -The Western Isles, Scotland’ in the TIPSE Report. Epson 2013 Programme: European Commission
Netto, G., Hudson, M., Sosenko, F., de Lima, P., Gilchrist, A. & Kamenou-Aigbekaen, N. (2013) Poverty and Ethnicity: Employer behaviour and culture. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
de Lima, P., Punch, S. & Whitehead, A. (2012) Exploring Children’s Experiences of Migration: Movement and Family Relationships, Briefing 61. Edinburgh: Centre for Research on Families and Relationships.
Arshad, R. & de Lima, P. (2012) Attracting international Students: Equitable Services & Support, Campus Cohesion and Community Engagement. London: Equality Challenge Unit