Prof Ian Megson
Department of Diabetes and Cardiovascular Science
Highland Diabetes Institute
The Centre for Health Science
Old Perth Road
tel: +44 (0)1463 279 572
Available to talk to the media about
- Inflammation and free radicals: key players in the link between diabetes and cardiovascular disease?
- Antioxidants in diabetes & cardiovascular disease
- New drugs for preventing heart attacks in patients with diabetes
- Pollutants and nanoparticles in cardiovascular disease
- Potential benefits of a high oat diet in diabetes
- Can markers of oxidative stress predict cardiovascular risk?
In these languagesEnglish
Currently Head of Health Research and Innovation at the University of the Highlands and Islands, Professor Megson arrived at the university to develop health research from scratch in 2006 and the team has since gone from strength to strength, boasting many successes in terms of grant funding and publications.
Professor Megson has a degree in Physiology from the University of St Andrews, where his interest in nitric oxide and free radicals was sparked. A PhD investigating the release of nitric oxide from novel drugs followed at St Andrews’ renowned Flitney Laboratory (completed in 1993), after which he went on to complete his studies on the topic through a British Heart Foundation Post-doctoral Fellowship.
In 1995, Professor Megson then moved to the University of Edinburgh where further post-doctoral work led to lectureship and senior lectureship posts.
Research groups and interests
- Fellow - Higher Education Academy
- Fellow - Society of Biology
- Chair - Scottish Natural Actives Programme
- Founding Member - European Vascular Biology Society
- Member - Scottish Cardiovascular Forum
- Member - British Cardiovascular Society
- Organiser - Nitric Oxide Congress (2012)
- Organiser - Natural Products Biotechnology (2014)