Entry requirements and visa advice


We understand that process to study with an overseas university can be complex so we have prepared some guidance to support you.

The information in the sections below will help you through the application and visa requirements to study in the UK with UHI, and beyond as you embark on your career.

If you still have questions after browsing our guidance, please get in touch with us on international@uhi.ac.uk for further help and advice.

Young aspirational student arriving at a train station, with arrivals and departures board in the background

What visa do I require? content

What visa do I require?

What visa do I require?

Students from outside the UK are required to apply for a visa to study in Scotland, unless you have a visa to stay in the UK for another purpose that allows you to study, such as a dependant visa or an ancestry visa.

Students from the EU, EEA or Switzerland

EU, EAA and Switzerland nationals entering the UK after 1 January 2021 are required to apply for a study visa. Those with settled or pre-settled status in the UK do not require a visa to study.

How do I apply for a visa? content

How do I apply for a visa?

How do I apply for a visa?

You will need to complete the UKVI’s online visa application.

Download: How to apply for your UK Student Visa

Download: UKVI FAQs for Student Visas

You can only apply for your visa after receiving an unconditional offer and up to three months before the start of your course but not any earlier.

Mistakes with funds and supporting documents are the most common reasons for visa refusal. If you have any questions please contact the admissions staff who issued your offer letter before visa application submission.

As there are regular changes in immigration and visa rules, we strongly recommend that you follow the guidance provided on the UKVI website, as it will provide you with the best and most up-to-date advice on how and where to apply for your visa:

How do I receive my CAS number to apply for my visa? content

How do I receive my CAS number to apply for my visa?

How do I receive my CAS number to apply for my visa?

The university admissions team will apply to UKVI for your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number, confirming that we have made you an Unconditional Offer of a study place and that you have accepted our offer.

UKVI will issue a CAS to the the university admissions team, who will then forward it on to you. Please note that your CAS is not the same as your UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) number.