Local support


Student Support Teams

Each of our campuses has expert who can offer support and guidance on a wide range of topics including finances, disability support, learning support and personal issues.

If you don’t know who to contact you can email the central student support team and we will forward your query to the appropriate person. Please read our Privacy Notice for further information on how your data will be handled by the university.

Personal Academic Tutor

Every student is assigned a named Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) whose responsibility it is to provide you with academic support throughout the duration of your studies.  Your PAT will be in contact with you at least once each semester to review your academic progress; this is in addition to an introductory meeting at the start of each academic year.

They are also on hand to:

  • Signpost you to other services for pastoral support e.g. funding queries, personal concerns, careers advice etc
  • Provide support and explain the options available should you be considering withdrawing.
  • Provide information on UHI academic standards and quality regulations, including the avoidance of plagiarism and copyright.
  • Advise on matters relating to programme of study, including the selection of modules and options.
  • Advise on study methods and academic writing skills and access to study support where required.
  • Assist with the collation and presentation of information to support a claim for mitigating circumstances.
  • Assist with the production and maintenance of personal development plan as appropriate.
  • Facilitation of appropriate contact between students and programme leaders/committees in relation to course issues and student academic representation.
  • Respond to requests for job references as appropriate for an agreed period of time after graduation or leaving UHI, in line with Data Protection requirements.

If you are unsure who your PAT is please contact your Programme Leader for details.