Conduct the Assessment Process PDA
Course code 92X1
What is special about this course?
This award is for assessors of non-workplace standards e.g. HNs or qualifications assessed during training courses or as part of off-the-job training.
The PDA has been developed for those who assess a wide variety of non-workplace settings, for example, teachers or lecturers involved in the delivery of Skills for Work (SfW) courses or National Progression Awards (NPAs). It is also used by training providers and Further Education (FE) centres offering: Higher National (HN) qualifications and PDAs; First Aid Certificates in a simulated environment; assessment of PC Passports in an open access centre; or assessing units in a classroom environment.
- You will gain this unit by providing evidence of your competence as a practicing assessor
- It is important that the assessment you carry out has a real purpose for the learner (e.g. to gain recognition and/or a qualification) and is not contrived simply for the purpose of gathering your own evidence, as an assessor-candidate, to meet the requirements of the unit
- Candidates must be occupationally competent in the area they are assessing, have a minimum of two years relevant work place experience and have access to assess two learners
- Candidates must be working at a level above their learners
Year 1 - PDA
This Unit is for assessor-candidates who are assessing learners in a classroom or other off-job training environments, such as training centres and workshops.
Tasks will involve:
- Agreeing assessment arrangements with candidates
- Conducting assessment with candidates
- Reviewing evidence and communicate assessment decisions to candidates
- Contributing and conforming to internal quality assurance requirements
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (structured)
- The PDA is work-based with some self-study
How long will my course last?
- Part-time (structured): 18 months maximum
Where can I study my course?
- Please contact the college for start dates
For information on costs of this course please contact the campus where you wish to study.
Can I progress into further study?
- If you wish to progress into a broader teaching/ training role, you may wish to continue onto the HNC in Learning and Development, which is suitable for those who will be assessing as an integral part of the training/teaching process.
- To become a workplace learning and development practitioner, you may wish to progress onto the SVQ in Learning and Development SCQF Level 8 (formerly SVQ Level 3), which is suitable for trainers, facilitators, mentors, tutors, coaches, instructors or anyone with a training responsibility in addition to their main job
- You may choose to go onto the SVQ in Learning and Development SCQF Level 9 (formerly SVQ Level 4). This is aimed at senior trainers, or training co-ordinators/managers who plan, deliver and evaluate programmes and/or have some management responsibility for others
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.