Human Resource Management MSc
Course code N690
What is special about this course?
Our CIPD accredited Post Graduate Diploma/MSc in Human Resource Management will give you the key skills and expertise which will enable you to make a significant contribution to people management practice within any organisation.
Aimed at both newly-qualified graduates and those already working in the field of people management, as well as individuals who see their careers developing in this direction, both the Post Graduate Diploma and the MSc are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) as an advanced-level qualification and provides you (on successful completion) with Associate Membership of CIPD. The course has been designed with flexibility in mind and is delivered by experienced HR practitioners through a structured online programme.
For more detailed information about the course modules, please see our Module descriptors document.
- CIPD accredited - on successful completion, you will be eligible to seek Associate membership of the CIPD, the professional body for HR specialists*
- If you are working in human resources or learning and development at a managerial or strategic level you can apply to upgrade from Associate Member to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow*
- 100% student satisfaction (Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2019)
- Flexible delivery options - means that you can study part time, taking either one or two modules per semester; attending online workshops and tutorials, through the university's virtual learning environment
- Taught by experienced HR practitioners
- Applied and practical assessments - you will undertake a major piece of advanced independent work within the area of HR at a strategic level, as well as a placement for those not already working within the HR profession
- Excellent online supportive learning environment
- Individual modules for CPD - you can choose to study individual modules for continuing professional development or work towards the PgCert, PgDip, or full Masters degree
*You will be required to join the CIPD as a student member if you wish to receive Associate or Chartered Membership on completing the award.
- 2:2 honours degree or above OR
- Successful completion of the CIPD Foundation Certificate and Diploma in Human Resource Practice, plus relevant professional experience
- Recognised international equivalent qualifications are also accepted
- Applicants with relevant professional experience will also be considered on an individual basis
UHI are proud to provide this course to students at our partner organisation, the University of Akureyri in Iceland.
- Managing and developing the human resource (S1)
- Managing in the global network (S2)
You will also choose one option module from the following:
- Information decision-making (S2)
- Effective communications (S1)
You will study the following core modules:
- Employment law (S1)
- Employee relations (S2)
To achieve the award of MSc you will study the following core modules:
- Research for business (S1)
- Applied research project (S1 or S2 start).
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured): online supported learning
- Part-time (unstructured): online supported learning
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- There are a variety of assessment methods throughout the course, including: presentations, reports, essays, timed online assessments, group work, annotated bibliographies and case study analysis. The assessments are designed to be applied to your own specific organisational and professional practice
How long will my course last?
- Part-time (structured): 2.5 years
- Part-time (unstructured): up to 5 years
Where can I study my course?
- This course is fully online. You will apply to and be supported by UHI Inverness
- University of Akureyri students: please click on the relevant apply link below (September or January start) and then select the 'University of Akureyri applicants' option to begin your application process
For students normally domiciled in Scotland, with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
- EU nationals with settled or pre-settled status in the UK,
- EEA/Swiss nationals with settled status in the UK
- EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|Per module (20 credits)||£584||£584|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£1,752||£1,752|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits)||£3,504||£3,504|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation)||£5,256||£5,256|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) or assessed as rest of the UK for fee status, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£720||£792|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£2,160||£2,376|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits)||£4,320||£4,752|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation, 180 credits)||£6,480||£7,128|
EU/EEA and Swiss nationals without settled or pre-settled status in the UK
Following the UK’s departure from the European Union, the Scottish Government confirmed that EU/EEA and Swiss nationals, who do not have settled or pre-settled status, will be considered as international for fee purposes. These students will get an automatic fee scholarship.
This includes EEA/Swiss nationals with pre-settled status who are not self-employed or migrant workers in the UK.
|2023-24||With scholarship||2024-25||With scholarship|
|Per module (20 credits)||£1,080||£810||£1,110||£833|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£3,240||£2,430||£3,330||£2,499|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits, 180 credits)||£6,480||£4,860||£6,660||£4,998|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation, 180 credits)||£9,720||£7,290||£9,990||£7,497|
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union, studying online from their home country, or assessed as international for fee status, the following fees apply:
|Per module (20 credits)||£1,080||£1,110|
|Postgraduate certificate (3 modules, 60 credits)||£3,240||£3,330|
|Postgraduate diploma (6 modules, 120 credits, 180 credits)||£6,480||£6,660|
|Masters degree (6 modules + dissertation, 180 credits)||£9,720||£9,990|
This course is not available to international students requiring Student Route visa sponsorship to study in the UK.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time rest of the UK, EU and international postgraduate students for continuous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
Eligible Scotland-domiciled students studying part-time can apply for a tuition fee loan from SAAS. You must be intending to complete the course in no longer than twice the length of time it would take for a full-time student. For example, if your course is available to full-time students as a one-year programme, you will be funded for a maximum of two years' part-time study. If your course does not have a full-time option, you must complete within three years. You can apply for a tuition fee loan up to £7,000, which will be paid pro-rata for each academic year of study.
Full details can be found on the SAAS website. Applications for loans open in April.
Students from the rest of the UK who meet the eligibility requirements may be able to apply for a loan from the Student Loan Company.
- You will be required to join the CIPD as a student member if you wish to receive Associate or Chartered Membership on completing the award. The current cost of this is £104 per annum. Please note that joining the CIPD provides you with access to a wealth of guides, information and advice related to HR
What can I do on completion of my course?
This programme prepares students to operate as HR professionals and in the management of human resources, within a wide range of private, public and third sector organisations.
You will be eligible to seek Associate Membership of the CIPD, the professional body for HR specialists. If you work in human resources or learning and development, at managerial or strategic level, you can apply to upgrade from Associate Member to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
I was attracted to the course because it involved largely online tutorials and reading materials supported by knowledgeable and enthusiastic teaching staff. The online technology set up at the university is fab. This university has a unique feel and character because of its geographic spread, variety of subjects and levels of study. It is vibrant, exciting, inclusive and diverse and welcomes those with disabilities, whether physical or learning, by providing appropriate additional support for study, assignments and exams.
Emma Knox, a qualified lawyer, suffered a life-changing accident and during her rehabilitation decided to study our MSc Human Resource Management.
The mix of business with current affairs is so interesting and the lecturer David Jack is really supportive. The group I’m currently studying with are a fab bunch and are really friendly.
I really enjoy the contemporary feel of the course and the tutorials, and the online resources are great too. I’m looking forward to continuing my studies, gaining a really in-depth knowledge and furthering my skills in my current HR role.
Pauline Fraser is studying a PG Certificate in Human Resource Management at UHI Inverness.
The knowledge I obtained helped me to win a prestigious cHeRries award for Excellent HR Manager 2022.
I particularly enjoyed the fact that I was able to undertake structured learning and found the lecturers very helpful. I found the style of teaching very convenient as I was able to study around my full-time job. The materials were available online which supported flexible learning.
I was able to study during my pregnancy and received great support from the lecturers. I can fully recommend this course to anyone who is prepared to study hard and show determination as the end result is well worth it.
Sarah McCarvel graduated from the MSc Human Resource Management at UHI Inverness.
Apply for Human Resource Management MSc
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.