Chartered Management Institute Management and Leadership (SCQF level 8) CMI Extended Diploma
Course code 21N2
What is special about this course?
The Chartered Management Institute Management and Leadership qualifications were developed to support the needs of middle managers and those aspiring to senior management.
These SCQF level 8 qualifications are designed for practising middle managers who wish to develop their core management skills and practices. You will have the opportunity to focus on your own management capabilities and competencies.
The Management and Leadership qualifications are all available on a part-time flexible basis.
- You will automatically be given student membership to the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and access to their resources
- You can study part time and online, allowing you to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments
- You can study individual modules to suit your own learning needs. You can work torwards an Award, Certificate and the full Diploma by building up credits in a flexible way
- An SCQF level 6 qualification or equivalent eg Scottish Highers
- Alternatively, relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis
Year 1 - Award
The SCQF level 8 Award lets you strengthen and develop your knowledge of middle management by focusing on specific management areas that are applicable to your job. You can tailor content of this course, and topics may include:
- Personal development
- Managing information
- Recruitment and selection
Year 2 - Certificate
A more extensive qualification, the level 8 Certificate gives you a broader knowledge of middle management skills while focusing on the specific leadership areas appropriate to you and your workplace. Topics may include:
- Performance management
- Resource management
- Quality procedures
Year 3 - Diploma
With a more comprehensive structure, the level 8 Diploma gives you the key skills and competencies you will need to become an effective middle manager. A Diploma in Management and Leadership is the benchmark qualification for full CMI membership, taking you another step towards Chartered Manager status.
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- You will have a tailored study plan prepared for you and the opportunity to attend face-to-face workshops (subject to numbers)
- The flexibility of this mode of study will enable you to fit your course and your professional development around your business needs
How long will my course last?
Information below gives an indication of length of study, however we will build a study plan with you to meet your own needs.
- Award: 2 months
- Certificate: 4 months
- Diploma: 12 months (additional 6-9 months if you have already completed the Certificate)
Where can I study my course?
- North, West and Hebrides
- Variable start dates throughout the year. For information on other start dates, and how to apply for them, please contact the campus you wish to study with
Fees are currently under review.
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
You may be eligible for a part-time grant fee of £500 from SAAS or £200 from ILA. More details on these funding options.
You may also want to contact your employer or local authority for possible funding options.
UHI has a number of scholarships, bursaries, awards, and discretionary fund opportunities available to new and current students. Please use the A-Z of funds or use the filter to see which ones may be relevant to you. All students are welcome to apply.
Further information on funding your studies is also available, please see the attached link or contact the relevant UHI partner.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The Award, Certificate and Diploma in Management and Leadership are widely-recognised professional management qualifications and may lead to opportunities within any sector.
Can I progress into further study?
There are opportunities to progress within this level from Award to Certificate to Diploma. Additionally, students may complete a bridging unit and progress to the Chartered Management Institute Strategic Management and Leadership (SCQF level 11).
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Chartered Management Institute Management and Leadership (SCQF level 8) CMI Extended Diploma
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.