Overseas Criminal Record Checks for PVG courses


For programmes that require students to have a Disclosure Scotland (Protection of Vulnerable Groups - PVG) check, and where the prospective student has lived overseas, we will need you to obtain a police certificate from that country to provide evidence that you do not hold a criminal record.

If you, as a prospective student, have lived overseas or have spent six continuous months or more outside the UK in the past 5 years, you must provide evidence of a Criminal Record Check from the relevant country or countries. This can also be called a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ or ‘Police Clearance Certificate’.

The check needs to provide full disclosure and covers any contact with children/young people and vulnerable adults (who have a learning/physical disability or mental incapacity) and that this check must be dated within six months of the start date of the course.

Please note that you will be liable for any cost incurred in obtaining this document. We understand that some Police Forces might expect an official request for this information from the University of the Highlands and Islands and, if this is required, please contact the relevant Admissions team to obtain a letter.

Please scan and email a copy of your certificate to the relevant Admission team. If this is not in English then we will require you to obtain a certified English translation from a professional translator. You will need to present the original document at enrolment.

If you are not able to obtain a certificate you should email admissions@uhi.ac.uk for further guidance. It may be that our university will not be able to progress an application if we do not receive appropriate information.

You will also need to apply for a Disclosure Scotland check (PVG), in addition to obtaining the Overseas Criminal Record Check. More information on PVG application will be provided to you by the university prior to the start of your course.

The UK Government provides advice about the criminal record checking process for most countries.